One thing to consider last year was that a number of major things occured on the personal front. My oldest son, John, graduated Magna Cum Laude from Freed Hardeman University and was married the following month. I've had issues with medication which led to problems at the end of 2009 I am just now recovering from. Don and I still care for his parents in our home, and we've had people moving in and out for various periods of time.
So, how'd I do in 2009?
- My total word count (new fiction) for 2009 was 172, 810. While this fell short of the 200k I aimed for it was still more than the previous year.
- I wrote 11 short stories, same as last year.
- I finished one novel and started another one.
- I did participate in Nanowrimo, but failed to hit 50,000 words.
- I kept up with my weekly column in the Highlands County News Sun despite all the personal stuff. I consider that a victory.
- I wrote at least 500 words/day for 147 days straight.
So, what do I want to accomplish on the writing front in 2010? Here are my goals. Notice that selling something isn't a goal, because I can't MAKE anyone buy something. But these goals should increase my odds...
- 200,000 new fiction words for the year. I was close in 2009 - I think I can do it.
- 20 short stories for the year. Almost double my output from 2008 and 2009.
- I'd like to beat my writing streak of 147 days.
- Get everything out in the mail some way, some how. The goal is to get this done by the end of February. Once everything is out, turn things around within 48 hours.
- Finish my current novel and complete a second novel.
- Participate in Nano and succeed this year.
- Keep up with this blog at least once a week.
- Continue to improve the column. Also, put together a collection of past columns and try to sell it.