Thursday, May 21, 2009

Three recent books I've read...

At the moment, I'm on page 134 of Ted Dekker's "The Boneman's Daughters" (and it's pretty interesting so far). But I recently finished 3 books that I'll make a few comments on here. Keep in mind this is my opinion and only my opinion:

The Associate by John Grisham: This one felt like a return to "The Firm," the novel that got Grisham launched into the spotlight. A graduating law student gets blackmailed to become a corporate spy. Some interesting bits there, certainly not the worst Grisham has penned, but I still prefer "A Time to Kill" and "The Runaway Jury" over this one.

Star Trek: The Movie Novelization: As I've indicated, I really like the new Trek movie. The novelization (which has Alan Dean Foster's name on it along with two other authors) does what movie novelizations are supposed to do (at least in my opinion): fill in gaps the movie left out. Not as good as the movie, but at least we find out what happened to Porthos!

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult: I started this book on Sunday, while traveling back home from John's college graduation. I finished it sitting in my bathtub the next day, tears streaming down my face. This is a powerful,, intense, emotional book, and Jodi Picoult's writing is amazing. The movie version comes out in June, but don't wait for it - buy the book and read it today!

No comments: